SHALDON, a hamlet, in the parish of St. Nicholas, hundred of Wontford, union of Newton-Abbott, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 5¼ miles (E.) from Newton-Abbott; containing 538 inhabitants. This hamlet is composed of a tract of land recovered from the sea by an embankment, and is pleasantly situated on the south bank of the river Teign, across which a bridge has been erected, communicating with Teignmouth. It contains many genteel villas. A church was erected about 150 years since, by the Carews, of Haccombe; and there are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.