Settrington (All Saints)
SETTRINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York; containing, with the township of Scagglethorpe, 741 inhabitants, of whom 492 are in Settrington township, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Malton. The parish comprises about 4300 acres, and is chiefly the property of Henry Willoughby, Esq., lord of the manor, to whom the estate was bequeathed by the late Lord Middleton, of Birdsall Hall. The village is situated in the narrow' vale of a rivulet, at the foot of the Wolds; and is chiefly of modern erection, the greater portion of it having been rebuilt by Lady H. M. Sykes, who died in 1813. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £42. 12. 6., and in the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Bridgewater; net income, £1045. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1797, when the township was inclosed. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, comprising a nave, chancel, and aisle, with a square embattled tower; the east window is embellished with beautiful stained glass, and the interior is very neatly fitted up. Here were formerly two chantries. In the parish are the remains of some military intrenchments, and there are several tumuli. The manor gives the title of Baron of Settrington to the Duke of Richmond.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.