SEDGWICK, a township, in the parish of Heversham, union and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 4½ miles (S.) from Kendal; containing 240 inhabitants. The township comprises 350 acres, all arable land; and the river Kent and the Lancaster canal pass through it. Here is also a cutting, a mile and a half in length, on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway; whence follows an embankment a quarter of a mile long, and upwards of 60 feet high, from which an exquisite view of the fertile and romantic valley of the Kent, in almost its entire length, is obtained. A mill for the manufacture of gunpowder was established about 1770. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.