Seckington (All Saints)
SECKINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Tamworth, Tamworth division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 3¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Tamworth; containing 118 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 816 acres, exclusively of roads; 450 acres are arable land, producing wheat and barley, and the remainder pasture. The soil is chiefly clay, and the scenery is diversified with wood, principally oak, ash, and larch. The Birmingham and Derby railway passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 16. 0½., and in the patronage of Sir R. Burdett, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £213, and there are 28 acres of excellent glebe, with a good parsonage-house. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, and contains an ancient monument in fine preservation to an ancestor of Sir R. Burdett's. Near the church are vestiges of a large encampment; and in the neighbourhood is the site of a small priory, founded by William Burdett in the reign of Henry II.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.