Seaton-Ross (St. Edmund)
SEATON-ROSS (St. Edmund), a parish, in the union of Pocklington, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. by W.) from Pocklington; containing 540 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3252a. 33p., of which 135 acres are woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture in nearly equal portions. The village is long and straggling, and pleasantly situated about a mile and a half north of the road from Holme to Harlthorpe. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of W. C. Maxwell, Esq., the impropriator, and has a net income of £93. The church is a neat brick edifice, built at the expense of the parishioners and W. H. M. Constable, Esq., in 1789. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.