Beeston (St. John the Baptist)
BEESTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 3¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Nottingham; containing, with the hamlet of Beeston-Ryelands, 2807 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south-east by the river Trent, and comprises about 1500 acres, the soil of which is light, and lies on gravel. The inhabitants are principally employed in the manufacture of hosiery and lace, and a large silk-mill has recently been erected. A diversion from the Trent, called the Beeston Cut, conveys the Trent Navigation from Beeston to Nottingham, joining the Nottingham canal at Lenton; and the Midland railway runs through the parish, and has a station here. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 15.; net income, £257; patron, the Duke of Devonshire; impropriators, Lord Middleton, and Peter Broughton, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1806. The church, which is very handsome, was built in 1843-4, with the exception of the chancel, and has a nave and north and south aisles, and a tower; it is in the Tudor style, has accommodation for 800 persons, and cost about £3500. There are capacious national schools, with a residence for the master; and an infants' school. Considerable portions of a Roman road uniting with the "old Coventry road" in the adjoining parish of Attenborough, and the remains of an ancient building, are discernible. There are some wells in the village, the water of which is slightly chalybeate.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.