Scawton (St. Mary)
SCAWTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Helmsley, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 4 miles (W.) from Helmsley; containing 139 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2768 acres, of which 985 are common or waste. It is situated upon Hambleton, in the midst of open moorland scenery; about two-thirds of its area are under tillage, and the remainder in pasture. Stone of good quality is quarried for building, and for burning into lime. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £2. 19. 2., and in the gift of Sir William Worsley, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £148, and the glebe comprises 32 acres. The church is in the early English style.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.