Sapcote (All Saints)
SAPCOTE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Hinckley, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 4¼ miles (E. by S.) from Hinckley; containing 773 inhabitants. This place was formerly the property of the family of Bassett, whose mansion was built on the site of an ancient castle, of which the only remaining vestige is the moat that surrounded the eminence whereon it stood. The parish comprises 1465a. 2r. 18p.: the surface is varied, and the lower grounds are watered by the river Soar; the soil is chiefly adapted for dairy-farms, and cheese of fine quality is made in large quantities. A spring of water here, called Golden Well, has been found efficacious; baths were erected in 1806, at an expense of £600, by J. F. Turner, Esq. About 200 frames are employed in the manufacture of hosiery. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 11. 10½.; net income, £485; patron, Thomas Frewen, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1778; the glebe altogether comprises 270 acres. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A house of industry, and a common mill for grinding corn, were built by subscription, in 1806, the expense of each amounting to £1300. In a field called Black Piece, a curious tessellated pavement was discovered in 1770.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.