SANDWITH, a township, in the parish of St. Bees, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2¼ miles (S. by W.) from Whitehaven; containing 316 inhabitants. It extends to St. Bees' Head, where is a lighthouse. Upon the adjacent cliffs grows an abundance of samphire. The tithes of the township have been commuted for a yearly rent-charge of £260.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.