Sampford-Arundel (Holy Cross)
SAMPFORD-ARUNDEL (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Wellington, hundred of Milverton, W. division of Somerset, 2¾ miles (S. W.) from Wellington; containing 448 inhabitants. It comprises 1144 acres, of which 35 are common or waste land. The road from Bath and Bristol to Exeter passes through the village. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 3. 1½.; patron and impropriator, the Rev. Charles B. Sweet: the great tithes have been commuted for £150, and the vicarial for £125; the glebe contains two acres. The church has been enlarged.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.