SALTWICK, a township, in the N. division of the parish of Stannington, union, and W. division, of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Morpeth. This place formed a manor in the Merlay barony, and has been held by the families of Camhow, Greystock, Ogle, and Brown. It stands on the brow of a high green slope, and commands on every side but the north a very extensive prospect. The township comprises about 950 acres. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £116. 1. 8., and the vicarial for £3. 3. 6.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.