UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ruswarp

RUSWARP, a township, in the parish, borough, and union of Whitby, liberty of Whitby-Strand, N. riding of York; containing 1879 inhabitants. It includes part of the suburbs of Whitby, and also the hamlet of High and Low Stakesby, near which is Sneaton Castle, a handsome mansion erected by the late Colonel Wilson. Here is a suspension bridge across the river Esk.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.