Runwell (St. Mary)
RUNWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Chelmsford, S. division of Essex, 1 mile (N. by E.) from Wickford; containing 324 inhabitants. It is situated on the navigable river Crouch, and comprises about 1790 acres, of which 1533 are arable, 217 meadow and pasture, and 40 woodland; the soil is principally a deep loam, and the surface is partly hilly, commanding fine views. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13, and in the patronage of the Knox family: the tithes have been commuted for £550, and the glebe consists of 20 acres. The church, a neat edifice of brick, with a square embattled tower of stone surmounted by a shingled spire, contains some ancient monuments and brasses.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.