RUNNINGTON, a parish, in the union of Wellington, hundred of Milverton, W. division of Somerset, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Wellington; containing 107 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Tone, and the Taunton and Tiverton canal passes near its boundary. It comprises 323 acres, and the substratum contains good limestone, which is quarried for burning into lime. A few persons are employed in the woollen manufacture. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 1. 5½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £84, and the glebe comprises 16 acres. The church is ancient.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.