Rudby-in-Cleveland (All Saints)
RUDBY-in-Cleveland (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Stokesley, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 3¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Stokesley; containing, with the townships of Hutton-Rudby, Middleton-upon-Leven, East Rouncton, Skutterskelpe, and Sexhow, 1256 inhabitants, of whom 72 are in the township of Rudby. This place was formerly of much greater importance than it is at present. Soon after the Conquest the manor was granted to the Meinells; it was successively held by the families of D'Arcy, Conyers, and Ingram, and is now the property of Lord Falkland. The parish is frequently designated Hutton-Rudby, from the township of that name, which contains the greater part of the population; it comprises an area of about 6640 acres, of which the soil is chiefly a strong clay, producing excellent crops of wheat, and in parts a deep sandy loam. The river Leven flows through the parish in a serpentine course, between banks which in some places rise abruptly to a very considerable height, assuming a strikingly imposing aspect. The village is pleasantly situated on the river, and at Hutton-Rudby a spinning-mill has been erected, which, when in full operation, affords employment to more than 200 persons. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £30; net income, £185; patron, Lord Falkland; impropriators, various landed proprietors. The church, standing on the margin of the Leven, is in the early English style, and contains, among other ancient monuments, a sarcophagus placed in a recess, supposed to be that of a former incumbent, Wyclyft, who, by his will dated 1423, bequeathed some small payments to the neighbouring churches. Chapels have been built at Middleton and East Rouncton. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.