Rowington (St. Lawrence)
ROWINGTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Warwick, Henley division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Warwick; containing, with the township of Pindley, 1046 inhabitants. In the 6th of Elizabeth the lordship was granted by the crown to Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick. The parish was originally called Rochingtone, from the rocky ground on which it stands. The area is 3167a. 2r. 14p., of which about two-thirds are arable, and one-third meadow and pasture: the Stratford-on-Avon and the Birmingham and Warwick canals, and the road from Warwick to Birmingham, pass through. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 11. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £116: the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is a cruciform structure, principally in the Norman style. A parochial school is supported from funds bequeathed to the poor, producing about £250 per annum.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.