UK Genealogy Archives logo

Rosliston (St. Mary)

ROSLISTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, 4½ miles (S. by W.) from Burton; containing 327 inhabitants. It comprises 1197a. 12p. of fertile marl or clay land; and has a pleasant village, about two miles south-west from which is Coton Park, a mansion surrounded with a thriving plantation. Coton-Park farm consists of 300 acres, with a neat house. The living is annexed to the rectory of Walton-on-Trent: the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £100, and the glebe comprises 58 acres; 307 acres in the parish are tithe free, and 517 are covered by a modus. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt by subscription in 1827.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.