BEDHAMPTON, a parish, in the union of Havant, hundred of Portsdown, Fareham and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, ¾ of a mile (W.) from Havant; containing 533 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 2415 acres, about one-half of which is under tillage, and the other divided in nearly equal portions between woodland and pasture; the soil in the lower part is a rich black loam, and in the upper part a strong clay. There are some chalk-pits, and two extensive flour-mills. The village is delightfully situated on the shore of Langston harbour, and commands splendid views: there are some fine springs of water, to one of which considerable medicinal qualities are attributed. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 3. 9.; patron, the Rev. St. John Alder: the tithes have been commuted for £320.10., and the glebe consists of 26 acres. The church is a very neat structure.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.