ROSEDEN, a township, in the parish of Ilderton, union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from Wooler, on the road to Newcastle; containing 83 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1850 acres, of which 1000 are moorland, 800 arable, and 50 pasture and wood; it is of a light turnip soil, with a portion of clay, and there is a small freestone-quarry. The river Breamish passes on the east. On Roseden Edge are the remains of a semicircular intrenchment of earth, with an inner wall of loose stones, supposed to be of British origin.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.