Rolleston (St. Mary)
ROLLESTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (N. N. W.) from Burton; containing, with Anslow township, 797 inhabitants, of whom 519 are in the township of Rolleston. The parish is situated near the river Dove, and comprises by measurement 1196 acres, of which 199 are arable, 915 meadow and pasture, 56 wood and osierbeds, and 26 road and waste. The soil of the high lands is a marly loam, and of the lower rich pasture; the scenery is pleasingly diversified, and enriched with wood. The chief proprietor of land in the parish is Sir Oswald Mosley, Bart., whose seat Rolleston Hall has been much enlarged and beautified by him. It is built on the site of a house that belonged to William de Rolleston in the reign of Henry III.; the estate was sold by Gilbert Rolleston to Sir Edward Mosley, Knt., attorney-general of the duchy of Lancaster, in 1617, and has since continued in the Mosley family. The gardens and pleasuregrounds attached to the mansion are very extensive, and contain many choice trees and plants; in the fine park is a splendid piece of water. Petty-sessions are held every Monday. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 19. 7.; net income, £664; patron, Sir Oswald Mosley. The tithes of Rolleston township have been commuted for £225, and the glebe consists of 79 acres. The church has a handsome spire, and is neatly pewed, entirely with oak; it contains some ancient monuments of the Rolleston family, and one of Sir Edward Mosley, with more modern ones of his successors. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A free school was founded about 1520, by Robert Sherbourne, Bishop of Winchester, who endowed it with an annuity of £10, to which subsequent benefactions have been added, producing together £37 a year. A school for girls, recently erected, is supported by subscription; and there are ten almshouses called the Hospital, for aged people, endowed in 1672, by Mr. Rolleston, with rent-charges amounting to £100 per annum, since increased by bequests.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.