DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ripley

RIPLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Send, union of Guildford, Second division of the hundred of Woking, W. division of Surrey, 6 miles (N. E.) from Guildford; containing 851 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London to Portsmouth, by Kingston; and is a post-town, consisting principally of a long wide street. On its north side is a pleasant common, which, when the other commons of the parish were inclosed, under an act passed in 1803, was left open for the general recreation of the inhabitants; cricket-matches are frequently played here, and they formerly attracted much company. The common is bordered on the west by the respectable residence of Dunsborough, whose grounds are partly bounded by a tributary of the river Wey. The chapel, which appears to have been founded about the end of the 12th century, is, in a record of the time of Edward II., called the oratory of Ripelia or Ripellee; and in the 2nd of Edward VI. seems to have been regarded as a chantry chapel. The present chapel was consecrated in November 1846, and cost £1638. There is a place of worship for Baptists. George Ripley, the famous alchymist, and a Carmelite friar, whose works were printed at Cassel in 1549, is stated to have been born here.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement