Ringmer (St. Mary)
RINGMER (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chailey, hundred of Ringmer, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 2½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Lewes; containing 1339 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Ouse, and comprises about 4000 acres; the soil is in some parts clay, and in others a chalky marl, and the surface is diversified by some considerable elevations. Broyle, in the parish, was a seat of the archbishops of Canterbury, and had a park of 2000 acres, which is now under cultivation, in pasture. Some artillery barracks were erected during the late war, but they are now disused as such, and a portion occupied as a lunatic asylum. The village is situated on the road from Lewes to Hastings, and that from Lewes to London runs through the parish. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop, valued in the king's books at £13; net income, £299; impropriator, Lady D'Harcourt. The church is an ancient edifice, partly in the early and partly in the later English style, with two small chapels, and contains several curious monuments; a modern wooden steeple has been erected in lieu of an ancient one which fell into ruins. There is a place of worship for Independents. The dividends on £2000 bank stock, amounting to £230 per annum, were left by Miss Hay, in 1797, to be distributed among the aged and deserving poor.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.