Rimpton (St. Mary)
RIMPTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Sherborne, hundred of Taunton and Taunton-Dean, W. division of Somerset, 5 miles (N. W. by N.) from Sherborne; containing 223 inhabitants. This parish is situated at the head of the valley of Taunton-Dean, and washed by a small stream tributary to the river Parret. It comprises by computation 1000 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 19. 9½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes have been commuted for £209, and there are 48 acres of glebe, and a house. The church is a neat edifice of stone, with a tower.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.