RIDGEWAY, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Eckington, union of Chesterfied, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles (N.) from Chesterfield; containing 1467 inhabitants. The district is co-extensive with the township of Ridgeway with Troway, and abounds in coal, of which two mines are in operation; the inhabitants are employed chiefly in the manufacture of scythes and sickles. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the Rector's gift, endowed with the pew-rents of the church, and a fixed payment of £280 out of the tithes. The church was erected in 1840, at an expense of £1600, raised by subscription, aided by £350 from the Diocesan Church Building Society, and £200 from the Incorporated Society; it is a neat structure in the later English style, with a small tower at the east end, and contains 571 sittings, of which 324 are unappropriated. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.