Rainton, with Newby
RAINTON, with Newby, a township, in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding of York, 5½ miles (N. N. W.) from Boroughbridge; containing 442 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1500 acres: the village, which is handsome, is pleasantly seated a little to the east of the Leeming-Lane. Newby Hall, a neat and spacious mansion, the ancient seat of the Robinson family, is now the property of their representative, Earl de Grey; it stands in a fine park on the southern acclivities of Swaledale. The tithes have been commuted for £83. 8. payable to the vicar, and £9. 15. to the Dean and Chapter of York. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.