QUORNDON, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 1½ mile (N. W.) from Mountsorrel; containing 1811 persons. Stockingweaving, and the manufacture of warp and bobbin-twist lace, afford employment to a great portion of the inhabitants. The Loughborough canal passes through the northern part of the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £122; patron, the Vicar of Barrow: the tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1762. The chapel is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The Wesleyans, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. A fund of £92. 16. a year, arising from lands and houses, is appropriated to various useful and charitable purposes; and about £31 per annum, principally from Thomas Rawling's charity at Woodhouse, are distributed among the poor; to whom also George Hyde, in 1826, bequeathed £1000, the interest to be divided half yearly.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.