Puttenham (St. Mary)
PUTTENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Berkhampstead, hundred of Dacorum, county of Hertford, 3¾ miles (N. W.) from Tring; containing 136 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 712 acres, is situated within a mile of the Aylesbury branch of the London and Birmingham railway; and a branch of the Grand Junction canal intersects the parish on the south. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 1. 0½.; net income, £166, derived from 150 acres of land assigned in lieu of tithes in 1814; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The tower of the church is built of flint and stone in square compartments; the ceiling of the nave, which is of carved oak, is supported by figures representing some of the Apostles, and on the cross-beams are other figures habited as ecclesiastics.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.