Pulford (St. Mary)
PULFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester; containing, with Poulton township, 335 inhabitants, of whom 206 are in the township of Pulford, 5¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Chester. The parish is situated on the road from Chester to Wrexham, and bounded by the Pulford brook, which separates this part of the county from Denbighshire. It comprises 2225 acres, of which 1055 are in the township of Pulford; the soil is mostly a stiff clay, favourable to the growth of wheat. Here is a station of the Chester and Ruabon railway. A court is annually held by the Grosvenor family as lords of the manor. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 15. 10., and in the gift of the Grosvenor family: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and the glebe consists of six acres, with a house, rebuilt by the late Marquess of Westminster in 1820. The present church, a cruciform structure in the later English style, was also built by his lordship, in the year 1833. In a field belonging to the rectory, called the Castle Hill, are still to be seen traces of a fosse and other remains of an ancient fortification.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.