PRESTWICK, a township, in the parishes of Dinnington and Ponteland, union, and W. division, of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6½ miles (N. W. by N.) from the town of Newcastle; containing 161 inhabitants. It comprises 767 acres. Prestwick Carr, an extensive marsh, is in wet seasons so completely inundated by the river Pont, as to form one vast lake; but in summer, when the waters retire, it affords excellent pasturage for the neighbouring townships. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £145. 12. 6., payable to Merton College, Oxford; and the vicarial for £14. 7.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.