Preston (All Saints)
PRESTON (All Saints), a parish, in the unions of Sculcoates and Skirlaugh, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York; containing, with the township of Lelley, 1082 inhabitants, of whom 946 are in Preston township, 7 miles (E. by N.) from Hull. An hospital for lepers was founded here early in the reign of John, in honour of the Holy Sepulchre, by John Fitz-Oubern, and placed under the control of a master and certain brethren and sisters. No remains exist; but coins, keys, &c. are occasionally found in digging, and a valuable relic has been lately discovered, with the legend "The seal of Master Simon of the house of the Blessed Virgin Mary." The parish comprises upwards of 4850 acres of land, divided among many proprietors; the village is considerable, and contains some good houses, on the road from Hedon to Bilton. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Sub-Dean of York, valued in the king's books at £12; net income, £81. The church is in the later English style, consisting of a nave, north aisle, and chancel, with a tower of hewn stone, which is the finest part of the edifice; the interior is neat, and has numerous monumental inscriptions. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans. Thomas Holmes, in 1718, endowed a school with £200, which sum was laid out in land, now producing an income of about £30.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.