DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Preston (St. Mary)

PRESTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Cosford, hundred of Babergh, W. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Lavenham; containing 406 inhabitants, and comprising 1900 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 0½., and in the patronage of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, to which society the advowson was given in 1621 by Robert Ryece, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £513, and there are 6 acres of glebe. Mr. Ryece resided in a mansion in the parish, called Preston Place, and was a great preserver of the antiquities of the county; he placed in the windows of the church the arms borne by the principal families of this and the adjoining counties. The rectory-house was rebuilt in 1835.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement