PRESTON, a parish, in the union of Yeovil, hundred of Stone, W. division of Somerset, 1½ mile (W.) from Yeovil; containing 379 inhabitants. It is situated on the Yeovil and Ilminster road; and comprises 834a. 2r. 29p., of which 467 acres are meadow and pasture, 294 arable, 51 in orchards, and 20 waste, roads, &c. The manufacture of kid gloves employs some of the inhabitants. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Yeovil: the church is in the later English style.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.