Portlemouth, East (St. Onolaus)
PORTLEMOUTH, EAST (St. Onolaus), a parish, in the union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Coleridge, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of the county of Devon, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Kingsbridge; containing, with the hamlets of Rickham and Holset, 429 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the Kingsbridge estuary, and on the south is bounded by the English Channel; it is the most southern parish in the county, and comprises 1723 acres, of which 281 are common or waste. The cultivated land is principally arable. There are some furze brakes on the hill sides, and a few meadows in the deeper valleys; the apple orchards are numerous and luxuriant, and add to the beauty of the scenery, which embraces views including Kingsbridge, the estuaries, and Salcombe harbour. Great quantities of lime are burned for manure. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £29. 18. 4.; net income, £324; patrons, the Duke of Cleveland and the Earl of Sandwich. The church is a handsome cruciform edifice; the screen is highly ornamented, and bears the appearance of great antiquity.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.