Pointington (All Saints)
POINTINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Sherborne, hundred of Horethorne, E. division of Somerset, 2½ miles (N. by E.) from Sherborne; containing 192 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the road from Sherborne to Wincanton, comprises 1020 acres, whereof 166 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 8. 4., and in the gift of Lord Willoughby de Broke, who is proprietor of the whole parish: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and there are 26 acres of glebe, with some land leased out upon the downs; also a glebe-house, built in 1837. The church is in the early English style. Fossils abound.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.