Plumtree (St. Mary)
PLUMTREE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bingham, partly in the S. division of the wapentake of Bingham, and partly in the N. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 5½ miles (S. S. E.) from Nottingham; containing, with the townships of Clipston and Normantonon-the-Wolds, 642 inhabitants. Here are considerable beds of limestone. The villages of Plumtree and Normanton are pleasantly situated, adjoining each other. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 19. 7.; net income, £1113; patron, W. Elliott, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land in 1805. The church, which is principally in the Norman style, was repewed in the year 1818. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.