Pilton (St. Mary)
PILTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shepton-Mallet, chiefly in the hundred of Whitestone, but partly in that of Glaston-Twelve-Hides, E. division of Somerset, 3 miles (S. W.) from Shepton-Mallet; containing 1116 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises by measurement 5473 acres, is intersected by the road between Shepton-Mallet and Glastonbury, and by the Roman fosse-way. Excellent stone is quarried for building purposes. A fair is held in September. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of North Wootton annexed, in the patronage of the Bishop of Bath and Wells; it is valued in the king's books at £7. The great tithes of Pilton have been commuted for £245, and the vicarial for £185; the glebe comprises 29 acres. The church, which was formerly remarkable for its beautiful early English architecture, has been enlarged. There are places of worship for Ranters and Wesleyans. An old building here, now used as a barn, belonged to Glastonbury Abbey.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.