PIGDON, a township, in the parish of Mitford, union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 3¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Morpeth; containing 50 inhabitants. This place was anciently called Pikeden or Pike-Dun, a name descriptive of the sharply-pointed hill on the acclivity of which the hamlet is situated. It was at an early date the property of the St. Peter family, and the lands have been subsequently held by the families of Eure, Heron, Milbank, and Surtees. The township comprises 1093a. 2r. 23p., whereof 208 acres are woodland, chiefly oak, and the remainder divided into two farms. The village overlooks the valleys of the Font and Wansbeck, and commands an extensive prospect to the east, south, and west. The great tithes have been commuted for £50.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.