DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Piddlehinton (St. Mary)

PIDDLEHINTON (St. Mary), a parish and liberty, in the union of Dorchester, Dorchester division of Dorset, 5¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Dorchester; containing 394 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 2264 acres of land with a substratum of chalk: the village lies in a valley, watered by the small river Piddle, and surrounded by downs. The valley is cultivated in water-meadows and orchards, while on the hilly grounds corn is grown, and flocks of sheep are fed; there are also large dairy-farms, supplying butter and cheese to the London market. The manor anciently belonged to a religious house in France, but eventually escheated to the crown, and was given by Henry VI. to Eton College. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 3. 9., and in the gift of the College: the tithes have been commuted for £373, and the glebe comprises 47 acres. The church, which is small and neat, was built about the early part of the fifteenth century.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement