Pickhill (All Saints)
PICKHILL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Thirsk, partly in the wapentake of Allertonshire, but chiefly in that of Hallikeld, N. riding of York, 7 miles (W. N. W.) from Thirsk; containing, with the townships of Ainderby-Quornhow, Holme, Howe, Sinderby, and Swainby with Allerthorpe, 696 inhabitants, of whom 356 are in the township of Pickhill with Roxby. This parish, called by Spelman in his "Villare Anglicum" Pickhall, is bounded on the east by the river Swale, and on the west by the old Roman road now called Leeming-lane. It comprises an area of 4991a. 1r. 12p., of which 2131a. 38p. are in Pickhill with Roxby. The surface is undulated, and the scenery pleasingly varied; the soil in some parts is a strong clay, in others a sandy loam, and the lands generally are in good cultivation. The villages of Pickhill and Roxby are contiguous, and now form one village under the former appellation; they are seated on both sides, and near the source, of a rivulet tributary to the Swale. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 13. 4.; net income, £152; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The tithes have been commuted for £1360. 8., and the glebe comprises 21 acres in this parish and 13 acres in that of Wensley. The church is an ancient structure, for the repair of which 22 acres of land at Sinderby were bequeathed by William Grant and William Byerley, in 1590. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A castle anciently existed at Pickhill, though not a vestige is now remaining, except the moat with which it was surrounded; and there are some fields in the parish which still retain the name of the Roman fields.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.