Pertenhall (St. Peter and St. Paul)
PERTENHALL (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of St. Neot's, hundred of Stodden, county of Bedford, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Kimbolton; containing 420 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1800 acres; the soil is a stiff clay, with some gravel, and the surface hilly. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18; net income, £215; patron, the Rev. J. K. Martyn: the tithes have been commuted for £30. 7. 6. Here was a preceptory of the Knights Templars, of which only the site, surrounded by a moat, is now remaining. In the parish is a chalybeate spring called Chadwell.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.