PERRY-BAR, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Handsworth, union of West Bromwich, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (N. W.) from Birmingham. This district or township, which comprises 4042a. 2r. 10p., and is separated from the township of Handsworth by the river Tame, has long been partly the property of the Goughs, whose representative, John Gough, Esq., is lord of the manor. Perry Hall, the family seat, lately rebuilt, is surrounded by a moat, and situated in a park ornamented with trees of stately growth; about half a mile from the church is Oldford Mill, occupied by John Willmore, Esq., and having neat gardens. The village is near the new road to Walsall. The Liverpool railway passes through the township, in a line nearly parallel with the river Tame; and to the north of the village and railway, is a branch of the Birmingham canal, opened for public traffic on the 14th February 1844, and intended to assist in carrying off the produce of the Staffordshire collieries and iron-works. The line was originally suggested by the late Mr. Watt, and was executed under the direction of Mr. James Walker, civil engineer, with great improvements in the towing-paths, bridges, and locks, the last passing a boat in one minute. The church, dedicated to St. John, cost £6000, and was consecrated by the Bishop of Lichfield in 1833; it is in the early English style, and the living is a perpetual curacy, endowed by Mr. Gough with £200 per annum. That gentleman has expended not less than £16,000 in the erection and endowment of the church, and the erection of the parsonage-house, which is contiguous to the church, and harmonizes with it in style. There is a place of worship for Independents, with a school attached; and two schools in connexion with the church are supported by Mr. Gough.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.