Perrot, North (St. Martin)
PERROT, NORTH (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Yeovil, hundred of Houndsborough, Berwick, and Coker, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (E.) from Crewkerne; containing 431 inhabitants. The parish is separated from Dorsetshire by the river Parret, from which it takes its name. A good description of stone, applicable to building purposes, is found; and sailcloth, girth-web, and twine are manufactured. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 1¼.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Henry Hoskins: the tithes have been commuted for £300, and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The church is a cruciform structure, erected about the period of Henry VII., with a plain tower supported by four enriched arches; an altar-piece has lately been put up, from the chisel of Westmacott, jun., in alto-relievo, representing the Last Supper, after Leonardo da Vinci. Part of a moat and bridge, still remaining, denotes that a fortified building once stood here.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.