UK Genealogy Archives logo

Penn (St. Bartholomew)

PENN (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union, and N. division of the hundred, of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford; containing 942 inhabitants, of whom 716 are in the liberty of Upper Penn, and 226 in Lower Penn, the former situated 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Wolverhampton. The parish comprises 3985a. 2r. 13p., of which 1900 acres are in Lower Penn: the substratum belongs to the new red-sandstone formation; the land is mostly arable, the soil generally good, and the scenery very beautiful. Among the gentlemen's seats are, Penn Hall; The Lloyd, the residence of the Rev. W. Dalton, A.M., with a fine park; the seat of Wm. Thacker, Esq., with 80 acres of land attached; and the villa of Thomas Moss Philips, Esq. The Wolverhampton canal skirts the west end of the parish, and the village is seated on the road between Wolverhampton and Himley. Locks, keys, coffee-mills, nails, &c., are made for the warehouses in Wolverhampton. A manorial court is held by the Duke of Sutherland's agent, to decide upon encroachments on Penn-Wood common. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 5. 10., and in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield: the tithes have been commuted for £895, of which £170 are payable to the vicar, and £37. 10. to the Duke of Cleveland; there are 53 acres of vicarial glebe. The church, a brick building with a square tower, was enlarged (a second time) in 1844, by the erection of an aisle, and has also been repewed and beautified. The Rev. Charles Wynn in 1699 gave a messuage, with a rent-charge of £6, in support of a free school, in aid of which Dr. Sedgewick in 1747 gave an annuity of £10; the income is now nearly £105, and the school is open to all the parish. An almshouse was founded in 1761, by Ann Sedgewick, for five aged women; it is endowed with £25 per annum.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.