PENMAEN, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Mynyddyslwyn, union of Newport, Lower division of the hundred of Wentlloog, county of Monmouth, 12 miles (N. W.) from Newport; containing 2474 inhabitants. This district was constituted in March 1846, under the provisions of the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37. It is five miles in length and two in breadth, and is bounded by the Sirhowy river on the west, the Ebbw on the east, and the parish of Bedwelty on the north; on the south is the road from Pont-y-Pool to Merthyr-Tydvil. The district is agricultural, but ill-cultivated; the surface is hilly, in some parts woody, but having in other parts a barren appearance. Collieries are in operation. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Llandaff, alternately. A well-built school-house is licensed by the bishop for divine service: the school affords accommodation for 400 children, and is supported by Sir Thomas Phillips. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.