PENGE, a hamlet, in the parish of Battersea, union of Croydon, E. division of the hundred of Brixton and of the county of Surrey, 3¾ miles (N. N. E.) from Croydon; containing 270 inhabitants. The London and Croydon railway crosses the hamlet, near which one of its stations is situated. Land was assigned to the vicar of Battersea, in lieu of tithes here, under an inclosure act in the 7th and 8th of George IV. A small church was built in 1838. Almshouses were opened in 1841, for the reception of poor, aged, and married freemen of the company of watermen and lightermen of the river Thames, their wives, and the widows of freemen; the houses are above thirty in number, and built on about two acres of freehold land given by Mr. Browne. Among the contributors to their erection were, the Queen Dowager, who presented 100 guineas; the late Alderman Lucas, £100; Mr. Browne, £430; and the company, 1000 guineas.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.