Payhembury (St. Mary)
PAYHEMBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Honiton, hundred of Hayridge, Cullompton and N. divisions of Devon, 5¼ miles (W. N. W.) from the town of Honiton; containing 545 inhabitants. It comprises 2700 acres, of which 120 are common or waste land. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18. 4. 2.; patron, the Rev. T. T. Jackson; impropriator, W. Wyndham, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £150, and the vicarial for £137: the glebe comprises 81 acres. The church is a handsome structure, and has a fine wooden screen. At Leyhill is an old mansion, with a chapel; and at Hembury is an ancient intrenchment.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.