Pattingham (St. Chad)
PATTINGHAM (St. Chad), a parish, in the union of Seisdon, partly in the hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, but chiefly in the S. division of the hundred of Seisdon and of the county of Stafford, 6½ miles (W.) from Wolverhampton; containing 903 inhabitants, of whom 802 are in the Staffordshire portion, and 101 in the township of Rudge, in Salop. The parish comprises about 4067 acres, whereof 1567 are in Rudge. The soil is called turnip and barley land, being farmed on the four-course or Norfolk system, although it is not nearly so light and sandy as the soil usually coming under this designation, the greater part of it being sufficiently strong for the growth of wheat, which is produced here every four years in the regular course of husbandry. The surface is hilly, and the scenery diversified. To the west is a fine view of the Wrekin, the Clee hills, and part of Wenlock-Edge. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; patron and impropriator, Sir Robert Pigot, Bart.: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £342. The church is situated in the village: the chancel is in the early English style, with double lancet windows and a quatre-foil; and there are two circular arches between the nave and north aisle, the date of which has been the subject of various conjectures among those interested in ecclesiastical architecture. A fire suddenly burst forth here in September 1677, which consumed several dwelling-houses, barns, and other buildings, and also the church with the exception of the steeple and outer walls. A former school, endowed with land (now producing £6 per annum) for the instruction of eight children, has been incorporated with some national schools supported by subscription, and at present containing about 150 boys and girls.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.