Patrington (St. Patrick)
PATRINGTON (St. Patrick), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the S. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 56 miles (E. S. E.) from York, and 189 (N. by E.) from London; containing 1402 inhabitants. This place, which is of great antiquity, is supposed by some antiquaries to be the Prætorium of Antoninus, and the point where the Roman road leading from the great Picts' wall terminates: about seventy years since, a stone, which had formed part of a Roman altar, was dug up. The town is pleasantly situated near a small river which empties itself into the estuary of the Humber; and although in a flat country, different points in the vicinity afford commanding views of the Humber and its fertile shores, and also of the opposite coast of Lincolnshire. The haven, about a mile distant, according to tradition, was capable of admitting large vessels; but it has become so obstructed by the accumulation of silt, as only to afford access to small craft, which convey corn to Hull and London, and import lime and coal from the West riding. The market is on Saturday, principally for corn, the trade in which is considerable; and fairs are held on March 28th, July 18th, and December 6th, for shoes, linen-drapery, woollen-cloth, copper and tin ware, toys, &c. The parish comprises by measurement 3500 acres, of which 2307 are arable, 1153 pasture, and 40 woodland, these last forming plantations in the south-western part of the lordship; the soil is in general clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £22; net income, £628; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The tithes, for the most part, were commuted for land and a money payment, under an act of inclosure, in 1766; those of the west lands are payable in kind when in tillage: the glebe and land consist of 400 acres. The church is a spacious and handsome cruciform edifice, combining the decorated and later English styles, with a tower surmounted by a fine lofty spire. There are some places of worship for dissenters. The poor-law union of Patrington comprises twenty-seven parishes or places, and contains a population of 8677.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.