PARRACOMBE, a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Sherwell, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 12 miles (N. E.) from Barnstaple; containing 446 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3791 acres, of which 1637 are common or waste land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 10. 10., and in the gift of L. St. Albyn, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £240, and the glebe comprises 56 acres. There are vestiges of an ancient fortification in the neighbourhood.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.