DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Papworth St. Everard (St. Peter)

PAPWORTH ST. EVERARD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Papworth, county of Cambridge, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Caxton; containing 117 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1091 acres, of which 120 are pasture, 30 woodland, 233 common or waste, and the remainder arable; the soil is clayey. The surface is undulated, and enriched with wood; the chief timber is oak, which, though not large in growth, is of good quality, and much used in building. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 15. 10., and in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £187. 10.; the glebe contains 23½ acres. The church is a small plain structure, and appears to have been originally much larger than at present.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement